I guess I should let a lot of you know what has been going on with us that past week and a half. It has been crazy time, and I am very grateful to be here and doing well.
While walking with Cole and Dawsyn, I collapsed and was taken to the ER. The doctors promptly ordered a ton of tests including: chest x-ray, CT scan and an echocardiogram and I have no idea how many blood tests. My blood pressure was somewhere around 60/30. (If you know much about that, that number is not good. Normal is like 120/80 or so).
The doctor came in and stood at the bottom of my bed and told Cole and I that my lungs were full of BLOOD CLOTS. WHAT???? I am only 29 years old..... I can't have blood clots.
The doctors wanted me out of there, they wanted to either Life Flight me to Salt Lake or transport me to St. George by ambulance. However, they could not get me stabilized to do either. They gave me a medication to help break up the blood clots in my lungs and also gave me another medication that would hopefully help bring my vitals up. (I later found out that these medications are not something that they would typically do, it was a last resort.)
During this time the doctor told Cole that I was in very critical condition and he needed to be prepared for the worst. Cole made phone calls to family and also had his dad and brother-in-law come to help give me a blessing. I don't remember much of the blessing, just that I would live a long, happy life. Ken and my father-in-law Paul, both kissed my forehead and left. I remember Cole telling me that he loved me. I was freezing cold, and wanted my heating pad to keep me warm. The nurse and Cole kept throwing warm blankets on me, I swear I had like 15 piled on. But I was still freezing.
The medicine did what it was supposed to do and by 2:30 AM I was wheeled to to the Intensive Care Unit. ICU 1 would be my home for the next 3 days.
I was the only one in ICU for a couple of the days, they let Cole and Allison sneak Dawsyn in for me to see her. I missed her so bad. She didn't want anything to do with me. A huge thanks to Megan, Allison, Virginia and other Douglas family members that helped watch Dawsyn. I knew that she was in good care and that she was loved just as Cole and I love her. But, I don't want to leave her again any time soon!
This is just part of my battle wounds. I was so dehydrated that they couldn't get any blood from me. Even when they tried 17 times. BTW - I don't recommend being poked in the top of the foot, not fun. I am looking much better now.
Nice little picture of the IVC filter.
While walking with Cole and Dawsyn, I collapsed and was taken to the ER. The doctors promptly ordered a ton of tests including: chest x-ray, CT scan and an echocardiogram and I have no idea how many blood tests. My blood pressure was somewhere around 60/30. (If you know much about that, that number is not good. Normal is like 120/80 or so).
The doctor came in and stood at the bottom of my bed and told Cole and I that my lungs were full of BLOOD CLOTS. WHAT???? I am only 29 years old..... I can't have blood clots.
The doctors wanted me out of there, they wanted to either Life Flight me to Salt Lake or transport me to St. George by ambulance. However, they could not get me stabilized to do either. They gave me a medication to help break up the blood clots in my lungs and also gave me another medication that would hopefully help bring my vitals up. (I later found out that these medications are not something that they would typically do, it was a last resort.)
During this time the doctor told Cole that I was in very critical condition and he needed to be prepared for the worst. Cole made phone calls to family and also had his dad and brother-in-law come to help give me a blessing. I don't remember much of the blessing, just that I would live a long, happy life. Ken and my father-in-law Paul, both kissed my forehead and left. I remember Cole telling me that he loved me. I was freezing cold, and wanted my heating pad to keep me warm. The nurse and Cole kept throwing warm blankets on me, I swear I had like 15 piled on. But I was still freezing.
The medicine did what it was supposed to do and by 2:30 AM I was wheeled to to the Intensive Care Unit. ICU 1 would be my home for the next 3 days.
I was the only one in ICU for a couple of the days, they let Cole and Allison sneak Dawsyn in for me to see her. I missed her so bad. She didn't want anything to do with me. A huge thanks to Megan, Allison, Virginia and other Douglas family members that helped watch Dawsyn. I knew that she was in good care and that she was loved just as Cole and I love her. But, I don't want to leave her again any time soon!
This is just part of my battle wounds. I was so dehydrated that they couldn't get any blood from me. Even when they tried 17 times. BTW - I don't recommend being poked in the top of the foot, not fun. I am looking much better now.I was on bed rest until Friday night. They moved me from ICU on Saturday and let me take a shower. I was really excited about that. I was actually able to sleep on Friday and Saturday night, if that tells you how exhausted I was.
I was sent home Sunday with a blood thinner called Lovenox, which are shots that Cole had to give me twice a day in the stomach. (I was too chicken to give them to myself) On Monday we went to St. George to have an IVC filter (inferior vena cava) placed. They went though my jugular vein down to my abdomen. The little legs attach to the walls of my vein and will stop any clot from getting to my lungs again.
Nice little picture of the IVC filter.Now, I am taking another blood thinner and having my levels checked often. I think I have become immune to the pokes, I hardly feel them anymore. If I get a good lab tech, I don't feel it at all.
Cole has been my rock through all of this. I knew he was my world before, but I couldn't have made it through without his strength. He has not let one thing slip. The man is amazing. I am so thankful for him.
We have been so blessed. Our relationship has been strengthened. We are grateful for our Savior's hand in our lives and I know that there are angels sent here to help us. I could go on and tell you all the miracles that we have seen, but this post has been long enough.
We just want everyone to know how thankful we are for your thoughts and prayers. Your calls, visits and flowers meant the world to me.


8 comments:
You left out the rattlesnake....still brings tears to my eyes thinking of the call we got from Cole that night.We worried all night thinking we would get a second call that was not good news! Not a nice night. So glad you are hear with us still!
Sounds pretty accurate to me. I got teary reading it too. Probably will get teary for quite some time. That night was awful...I kept my phone in my hand all night and prayed that it wouldn't ring! Thank heavens it didn't! Love you Kimala!
I am just so glad you are okay! I was kinda worried when I hadn't heard from you!!! I can't even imagine what you guys went through. It gives me chills just to think about it. I was in Cedar yesterday and I was wondering where you guys live. I wouldn't stop by unaanounced, but we really should get together and do lunch or something!! Ericka too! If you ever come down for Dr. appts. and need help with cute Dawsyn, I would so watch her. I'd probably spend the whole time pinching her cute cheeks, but we'd have fun. Seriously, anything you need! We'll keep you in our prayers!
hey,on a more funny note...would you set off any alarms with all of your hardware!! you should try it out!
Kimala, I am sitting here in tears and I am glad to hear that you are doing okay. I cannot imagine being a mom and being placed into that situation....I am sure that little Dawsyn is happy to have her mommy home!
Kimala, I too am in tears. What a scary thing to have happen. We love you and are so glad you are doing better. It's moments like this that help us realize and remember what's most important. You are a very strong person. I will conitinue to keep you in my prayers.
I sure hope that you are getting better. My grandma told me what was going on and I was so scared for you! Get better and you are in our prayers.
kimala,
how are things going now?? I have wondered about you alot these past few weeks and cannot believe it all happened still. Sent me a quick email if you get a chance, so I know you are still alright. talk soon, chesney
Post a Comment